Checkpoint Charlie was the most famous border crossing between West and East Berlin until the fall of the Berlin Wall, and served as a checkpoint for the border traffic of foreign diplomats. Also for employees of the permanent representation of the Federal Republic of Germany in the GDR. The citizens of both parts of the divided Berlin were denied the use.
The name Charlie-Radio Alphabet Alpha Bravo
“Checkpoint” was chosen as the sector boundary was not recognized by the Western Allies under international law and therefore the usual names for border crossings were deliberately not used. The name “Charlie” stems from the fact that these checkpoints were named after the well-known radio alphabet, so the lesser known checkpoints “alpha” and “Bravo” also existed.
Reconstruction of the control building
Since 1963, Checkpoint Charlie is the Wall Museum, which is one of the most visited museums in Berlin with nearly one million annual visitors. Since the year 2000 a faithful reconstruction of the original control building has been part of this museum.
Memorial to the wall dead
Nationwide attention 2005 The dispute about a memorial installed by the museum management, whose more than 1000 crosses should remember the wall dead. The critics of this memorial also included the Berlin Senate, which was supported by a coalition of the SPD and the left.
This controversy was ultimately decided by a land owner’s eviction lawsuit, which was granted. As part of the subsequent eviction, the memorial was removed on 5 July 2005.
- Friedrichstraße 43
- 10969 Berlin Kreuzberg
Directions / Route / Subway:
Directions / Route / Bus: